MASS AS Acknowledgement of EU Timber Regulation and Compliance Responsibilities
The purpose of this document is to confirm that our company is aware of the European Union Timber Regulation (EUTR) and is prepared to meet compliance obligations.
The EU Timber Regulation, designed to combat the trade and harvesting of illegal timber, entered into force on 3rd March 2013. The EUTR bans companies from placing illegally harvested timber or timber products on the market. In the regulation, companies that first place timber or timber products on the European market are referred to as “Operators”. Companies further down the supply chain, are referred to as “Traders”.
MASS AS acknowledges its role as an Operator and has taken all appropriate actions to comply with the requirements in EU Timber Regulation. MASS AS has a Due Diligence System (DDS) in place that includes the following elements which are outlined in Article 6 of the EUTR:
- Access to information about the supply of timber, including description, trade name and type of product, tree species, country of harvest, quantity, name and address of the supplier and trader and documents or other information indicating compliance with the applicable legislation.
- Risk assessment procedures enabling the Operator to analyse and evaluate the risk of illegally harvested timber products on the market. Such procedure shall take into account:
- Assurance of compliance with applicable legislation, which may include certification and/or third party verification schemes
- Prevalence of illegal harvesting of specific tree species
- Prevalence of illegal harvesting or practices in the country of harvest and/or sub-national region
- UN or EU sanctions imposed on timber imports or exports
- Complexity of the supply chain of timber and timber products
- Except where the risk identified is negligible, risk mitigation procedures should be undertaken which may include additional information or third party verification
Date and place: 03.03.2013
Name: Siim Kirsipuu, MSc.
Position: Managing Director